POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stardust IRTC WIP : Re: Stardust IRTC WIP Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:31:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stardust IRTC WIP
From: triple r
Date: 26 Aug 2009 19:05:00
Message: <web.4a95bf6d8354acfd7e4b5e60@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> I've gone for a 5:1 ratio so that you have to scroll the image horizontally
> to see the whole thing. This isn't obvious at the moment because the test
> renders are pretty small... plus I'm not sure I'll have time for a really
> high-res render so it might not work in the final scene!

I'm probably being unfair.  Preview renders are called that for a reason.

> Secondly the scene is a 380-degree view, so in theory you should print it on
> the inside of a cylinder for correct viewing!

Neat.  I thought of it as linear and periodic, not actually circular, but it's
painfully obvious in hindsight.  Actually, I think it was the shock wave / fire
on the left that threw me off since it doesn't show up on the right.  My mind
interpreted it as two slightly different things.  A perfect 360 degrees might
have made it more obvious, but you'd hate to cut into those nice effects.

> However I am working on leading the eye better. I feel the left half of the
> image really struggles so that's what I'm focussing on. I'm adding some more
> rocks to the 2nd disc to tie in with the lava-planet, then I'm going to tie
> the discs in better with the cloud of stellar gas.

I thought about suggesting something like the pillars of creation for that
point, but that would be a huge challenge to get right.

> I'm also messing with the
> overall background colours, because I think that can really help the sense
> of progression from left to right.

  Maybe this sort of effect would indicate some subtle distortion, like it's
circular instead of linear, only I don't know if that's what you're actually
going for:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap070508.html

> Thanks again for the criticism, it was very constructive :)

No problem, but again, it's very good.  We just wouldn't get anywhere if we
patted each other on the back all day!

 - Ricky